Monday, March 21, 2011

More than I had expected.....California



So I just recently spent my spring break in California's central valley due to my involvement in NJSA. Being on the Jr Board of Directors we attend numerous shows each year and I choose to attend the NJSA Western Regional in Turlock California. The show started the week before my spring break but luckly my professors allowed me to miss a few classes. When my roommate Rebecca Bailey and I finally got to Turlock (Rebecca's hometown) we immediately went into show mode planing and preparing for the days ahead. The show was a blast and I even got to see some great friends like my fellow board director, staff with the NJSA and NSR, Dan Shike (our judge), and some fellow Ohian's Jim McCoy(judge for the CPPA show) and Steve Mapes (photographer). It was a great gathering of new and old friends and I even got to see some great hogs! Something I had not gotten to experience at an NJSA event was the Barnyard Olympics. Now I was expecting just a few teams of kids to get together and participate, but I was wrong. In California kids are eager to participate (even the older teens) we had around 15 teams of kids participate and even make their own costumes! Above our new Director of Jr. Activities, Cally Hass, holds up our potato golf clubs. We had many games for the event and I dont think I have ever laughed so hard! I was also new to the auction and dinner that was held that night where us NJSA girls and Bryn Poliska set out to buy Carmelitas, the most delicious and indescribable treat know to man, and despite having a bid battle between Rebecca's parents we got em! (unfortunately they are now all gone and we are having withdrawals) After the show was over Rebecca and I were off to stay with her parents in Turlock but before we said goodbye to our friends John and June Bailey took us to one of their almond orchards and taught us about almond production.....way cool!
Now I had always known that California was the largest ag state in the country but for some reason I didn't expect what I got to see. Not only did I see nut orchards everywhere but I got to experience Pork Power Farms (The Bailey's commercial operation), help sell pigs to 4-her's at Golden State Genetics (The Bailey's Showpig operation), I got to see happy cows, Hilmar Cheese, bees, and even some grape fields! Everywhere I looked there was agriculture and most everyone was diversified in some way or another. I loved it so much I could honestly see myself living in the central valley one day!
Once our spring break technically started John and June, Robin and Paul (Rebecca's sister and brother in law), myself and Rebecca headed to San Francisco. I think I was a little unprepared for the big city so they decided to break it in easy on me. We went to the beach (my first time to the ocean!) where I got a little wet, I was unprepared for the waves. I got to see my first 100 jellyfish, I collected some shells, a sand dollar, and my shoes after leaving then about 100yards down the beach. I loved the beach and it could have made the trip amazing as it was but we had much more to see. In the next few day we visited Lombard Street (the curviest road in the US), I rode a street car, I got yelled at by a crazy San Francisco street preacher, went to Chinatown, Alcatraz, and the Golden Gate Bridge! However one of my favorite things was visiting ATT Park with the Baileys who are die hard Giants fans. We got to go on the field, in the locker room, the dugout, and even in the private suites. It was so fun for me because it was a new experience for all of us and I finally feel like a hardcore Giants fan!
I loved my time in California and I am so blessed to have met Rebecca and her family through the NJSA and have been able to not only become roommates but also great friends. Agriculture has brought many people together, either through, work, travel, or food. I am thankful for the fact that we live in a country where there are so many agriculture enthusiasts, and I hope that those people continue to spread their passion for agriculture, by inviting people to their homes across the country (like Rebecca did!), or by simply having a conversation about agriculture on a plane or bus. There are many opportunities to spread your message.... so remember to Keep Pork on Your Fork and pass the plate of knowledge and experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment