Monday, May 16, 2011

Modern Pork Production: intern style




So this summer I had made a goal for my summer, to experience modern pork production to the fullest extent. I applied for multiple internships and was bless to be offered an internship with Innovative Swine Solutions, a swine research group, in Carthage Illinois. I started a week ago and lets just say I have learned a lot and been pushed hard. First in Modern Pork Production is to stick to biosecurity practices. When I come into work each morning I wear plastic boots from my car into the barn, once I get into the barn I remove my shoes, clock in, and head to the showers. A big part of most modern swine units are that they are shower in shower out(nothing crosses the shower but you). You remove your clothing, shower, and dress in the provided clothing by the farm. This was a new experience for me but not unexpected. Once you leave the showers you enter the office where not boots are allowed, the office leads to the actual barn where you put on you boots and enter the facility. As an ISS intern my job is to help manage and care for the animals in our trials. We are currently working on 5 different trials which require either specific feedings, data/weight collections, and daily monitoring and treating. First comes the care of our animals and so I start my day feeding the sows and checking for any illnesses. Our trials can range from many different studies from testing nutritional effects to breeding methods. being exposed to this kind of opportunity is an awesome experience. One of the really cool things I have gotten to experience is the NEDAP feeding system, which is an individual feeding system for gestating sows in group penning. It allows an individual sow to pass through the system eat their individual allotted amount of feed at their own pace, if they choose to eat only a portion of it the system records that amount and allows the sow to come back later to consume the remaining balance. All of the information is recorded by the system and is accessible online for each and every sow. This system not only feeds the sows accurately and on time, but it also knows when they are in heat, it keeps them at the proper body condition, and knows when a sow is not eating. All of this makes running a 6,400 sow unit much easier and much more accurate. As a pork producer I am blown away by all of the data, information, and technologies that help us feed the world, and I am darn proud that I get to be part of it!


Keep Pork on Your Fork!

No comments:

Post a Comment